self-employed tax-deductible expenses

Tax Deductible Travel Expenses for Self Employed

30/11/2022tax , Tax Issues , Tax News and Tips , Tax Saving Tips , Taxation

When you claim your travel expenses as a self-employed individual, the first important thing you need to do is identify which travel comes under a specific category. Whether you are self-employed or working with an organisation, the travel that you are covering daily as a commute to your permanent workplace will not be considered an expense that is deductible. It becomes an allowable expense when you are travelling to a workplace that is temporary. The cost and amount of money that you spend on ordinary commuting can not come under the allowable expenses. Many of you must be wondering by now what are self-employed tax-deductible expenses then. Further, this guide will help you to gather information about what are permanent and temporary workplaces, how are they related to travel expenses, what are allowable tax-deductible expenses for self-employed individuals, and what points you should be considering before you plan to claim the costs for tax purposes.   Reach out to one of our professionals to get to know self-employed tax-deductible expenses for your earnings in the UK. Get in touch and you will be provided instant professional help!   What are Temporary and Permanent Workplaces? Sometimes the regular workplaces are temporary, however, the grey area is still there and the point becomes complicated. When you are associated with a construction project and you expect to work there for a duration of two years at least, many of you might confuse it with a temporary workplace. However, the case is entirely different because of the duration. This is a permanent workplace.   How are Temporary and Permanent Workplaces Related to Travel Expenses? If we talk about the salesperson who works in the field, this will also be considered his permanent workplace. The commute and travelling expenses from some areas will not be considered allowable expenses in this scenario. The travel that is done for the business meeting can be claimed while you’re doing your tax returns. In some cases, you might require to travel to visit a client. If you travel from the permanent workplace, these expenses will be considered, however, if you travel from home to the client the expenses will be allowable in a few circumstances. You can seek the help of a professional to understand the rules of HMRC for your unique situation.   What are Self-Employed Tax-Deductible Expenses? Travel for business purposes comes first on the list of tax-deductible expenses. While you are on a business journey, it is imperative to understand that you need to keep all the related receipts for any transport you have used. This includes the uses of public transport as well like buses, vans, cabs, and taxis. The journey that is purely related to the business purpose will be considered. You can even use Transport for London’s “TFL App” if you are travelling in London. You should keep the receipts intact that are related to the toll booth charges, car rental, parking costs and congestion charges. A few salient features to consider in this regard are explained below.   1- Mileage Tracking In case you are the one who is driving, you will have to keep a track of the mileage. This should be 45p per mile for the initial 10,000 miles. This is the instruction for the cars and vans. This will help you to save a lot of money.   2- Cost of Travelling One of the frequently asked questions that people ask is whether you have to avail of a cheap form of travel while you are on a business trip. The simple answer is no. For example, you are travelling in the UK and the tube cost you pay is £5.90, however, if you find it easy to take a cab you can have one. Even if the cab is an expensive commute, you do not need to worry about that.   What are the Things to Remember Before You Claim Expenses for Tax Purposes? The take-home points you must remember before you plan to claim the allowable business expenses are listed below. You should keep the record of your business travel intact to get approval and provide any kind of evidence that is required. Keep a record of the purchases that you have done for your business and ensure to keep it separate from your personal expenses. Your mileage log should be as detailed as possible. You can better use the automatic mileage tracking app. The partial parts of the journey may not include in the list of allowable expenses and your claim may not be successful if you add them. Ensure to understand your journey details to make an accurate tax return and get the claim of the maximum that you have spent. It sounds like a time-consuming process but it will help you to provide pieces of evidence when required. You can get in touch with the professionals if you are unable to understand the details of your journey and how to record them.   The Bottom Line Now that you have gathered a fair amount of information about self-employed tax-deductible expenses, we can bring the discussion towards wrapping up. The deductible travel expenses for a self-employed individual might sound complicated to record every detail of the journey, however, you can use the automatic apps to do the needful and save time. The more detailed your record is, the more accurate the tax return you will be able to file. You can even take the help of an advisor for a better comprehensive guide. We hope these few minutes of reading have helped to develop a better understanding of self-employed tax-deductible expenses and tax rates.   Get in touch with our young, clever and tech-driven professionals if you want to choose the best guide for self-employed tax-deductible expenses in the UK.    Disclaimer: The information about the self-employed tax-deductible expenses provided in this blog includes text and graphics of general nature. It does not intend to disregard any of the professional advice.

Read more
Self-employed and employed

Can I be Self-Employed and Employed at the Same Time?

18/10/2021Payroll & PAYE , Sole Trader , Taxation

If you’re looking for a way to increase your income while still working full-time, you might be thinking if you can be self-employed and employed at the same time. The short answer is a resounding yes! If you’ve already had a full-time job while running your own business, you’re probably aware of the liabilities that come with it. Therefore, if you have never been through this situation, then read this blog till the end! We will inform you about its advantages, the tax to pay with, and its further details. So, let’s start!   Our accountants at CruseBurke are qualified and cost-effective! We save your time, money, and stress by handling all your finances and business problems in no time! So, allow us to do this at an affordable package!    Can I be Self-employed and Employed at the Same Time? Yes, you can. For instance, you work for an employer/company throughout the day, but in the evenings or at night, you work for your own business. When you run your own business and are solely responsible for its success or failure, you are considered self-employed. On the other hand, you are an employee or employed when you work for an employer on their own payroll and you are paid through it. If you fall under both categories, you are both self-employed and employed at the same time. The money you earn from your job will be taxed under Pay As You Earn, and you’ll need to file a Self-Assessment Tax Return to declare the income you made from your own business.   Advantages of Being Self-employed and Employed The advantages are valuable, although they are simple. One of the main reasons is taxation. Several employment ways and forms of income are taxed differently. So, by taking advantage of your possibilities, you can save your money.  Moreover, having your own business while working for someone else can be a great source of prosperity and mental satisfaction that you will not find anywhere else.   How Does Tax Work If You are Self-employed and Employed? The income tax and NI (national insurance) implications can be complicated in case you are self-employed and working for another employer at the same time or are changing from self-employed to employed or vice versa.  You have to inform HM Revenue & Customs immediately as you become self-employed even if you are also working for someone else at the same time or you have already completed a tax return every tax year. You should not inform them late (when filing a tax return).    We can register you as self-employed to HMRC on your behalf!  Fill out this form and let us handle everything!    After registering, every year, you will be required to complete a tax return. You will enter your self-employment earnings as well as any allowable expenditure incurred details in the tax return. This will permit HMRC to calculate the amount of your income tax and NI you must pay. If you have file your tax return you must pay the tax amount at the end of the tax year.    Am I Exempt from PAYE If I’m Self-Employed You are exempt from PAYE if the following case applies to you: You are doing business for yourself and are liable for its success and failure and you can make a profit or a loss of your business. You can control what work you do, when, how, and where you do it. You can outsource the work to anybody else. Your employer agrees to a fixed commission for your work. You utilise your amount of money to purchase business things, cover operating expenses, and provide equipment and tools for your own work or the work of the employees you hire. In case you are a self-employed person, you must fill self-assessment tax return form once every year. Also, you have to pay HM Revenue & Customs twice a year ( in January and July). In some cases, you can pay just via PAYE. It means that your taxes will be automatically paid through it and there will be no risk of not meeting a deadline.  To use PAYE, You must submit your tax return by October, 31st (manually). You can also submit it online by December, 30th. HM Revenue & Customs will collect the money automatically you owe via PAYE, in case you meet the conditions mentioned above; otherwise, pay through instalments.   Unable to calculate your employed and self-employed tax? Let us handle this!   What is a Self-Assessment Tax Return? If you are self-employed and do not pay income tax through Pay As You Earn, you must register for Self-Assessment. After the end of a tax year (5 April), self-employed businesses and individuals must file a Self-Assessment tax return to record their earnings. To fill out and submit your returns, you only need to keep track of your receipts and bank statements. HM Revenue & Customs will assess what you have to pay on the information you’ve provided. By the 31st of January, you have to pay your Self-Assessment bill. In addition, the amount of tax you are required to pay is based on your income tax band. You have to send a self-assessment tax return in case: You’re self-employed with a profit of over £1,000 You are a partner in a partnership Remember that submitting your tax return up to three months late will result in a £100 penalty. You will pay more if it is late for more than three months.    Final Thoughts To summarise the discussion, we can say that you can be self-employed and employed at the same time, which has many simple but valuable advantages. However, you should be aware, that there are tax implications with this. PAYE is a system that deducts income tax and NICs from employees. But as a self-employed, you must pay tax and NI through Self-Assessment.    Turn to us if you need any help with accounting, tax payroll, and other finance-related problems! We will solve you are all …

Read more